Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ah, The Balance of the Universe

It's been an interesting weekend here at Chez Swizzle.

Yesterday, Twinkle had her second soccer game of the season. She's been working really hard at practice and it paid off yesterday. She rarely gets her foot on the ball, but yesterday she had some great passes, took the ball down the field, and she scored her first goal!

Now, I know, I know. I basically was dragged into this role of soccer mom kicking and screaming. And I admit that when friends have told me in the past about their little ones scoring their first goal, I thought it was cool, but I didn't understand the pride behind it.

It is only Twinkle's second season of playing soccer. I recognize that. But we've just been hoping for her to get into the thick of things and play the game instead of watching when she's supposed to be playing. I honestly didn't expect a goal yesterday. But she did it. She stuck to the ball and kept it away from others and put it in the goal. I'm not sure what the final score was. I know we won. I know Twinkle's goal was #9 and I know there were a few after hers. I almost stopped watching the game after she came out at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Mr. Swizzle and I both got a little misty eyed.

TODAY. Hmmm. Today the universe has sought to equalize our weekend. Twinkle has been whining about things and arguing since breakfast. We actually made it to church, though about 15 minutes late. AND we left early. Why? Because even though Twinkle was chosen to be one of the kids to carry the elements to the altar before Eucharist, all she could do was whine and cry that she had to carry the bread instead of the wine. She did do her job and came to us and we left. We just couldn't handle more.

That, of course, made her scream and cry all the way home. Even though she was complaining beforehand about going to church, it was a tragedy that she had to leave. Once she gets going, she has a hard time stopping. She's been asleep for a couple of hours now despite saying she wasn't tired. Hopefully the rest will help and the rest of our day will be relatively peaceful.

Really, after we got home it was just a whole series of proofs for Murphy's Law. Twinkle was not happy. Mr. Swizzle was making pasta (and getting the cork out of that wine!). When the pasta was done and he was getting it out of the pot, his spilled quite a bit onto the floor - luckily not on himself or Sparkle or the dog. Then, before the food made it to the table (or the wine to my lips) Sparkle fell and busted her lip. It was kinda nasty.

What kind of mother am I? The first thing I did after picking her up and seeing all the blood coming out of her mouth was take off the cute dress she'd worn to church! It is a loaner after all. We don't need blood all over it. After getting the bleeding to stop, I went back to my wine and my lunch which was less than warm. Sparkle ate a little bit, but was more interested in being snuggled.

Now, the rest of the family is napping and I'm blogging. Gotta get everything out. Hopefully, I can catch a few winks before they all wake up!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like one of those days, eh?

Mary Beth said...

Ugh. I was glad to see y'all back in the corner...but sorry for all the DRAMA!