Monday, January 29, 2007

Carpooling

Yes, it is the end of January. Yes, there are only 4 months left of the school year.

Better late than never, I guess. There's a girl in Twinkle's class who lives less than a minute from us. There are probably even more than just the one girl. Her mother and I usually end up following one another on the way to school or on the way home. It's crazy. We've been doing this for about 6 months now. I noticed this back in October. The school had a Blessing of the Animals and I saw her there with her 2 dogs and noticed that I followed them almost home afterward. I mentioned this to her and kind of mentioned carpooling, but I was very non-committal.

There's just something about carpooling that seems like too much commitment for me. I feel like we rush around enough in the morning that I don't want to worry about whether Twinkle is ready when someone arrive to take her to school, much less trying to go pick someone up on our way to school. Is it bad if it's my fault another kid is late to school? What if they aren't ready and it makes us late? These are the questions that kept me from doing it. Let's face it, it probably comes down to a control freak issue.

I told the mom last week that I'd be happy to take turns giving rides home from school, but I wasn't sure I was reliable enough for morning carpooling. Long story short, now that we've figured out what we'll do, we're doing morning and afternoon carpooling. Rip me out of my comfort zone and toss me in the deep end!

I know this is actually going to be great. That I'm going to love the whole thing. I know the questions listed above really aren't that major. They're barely even minor. But, it took someone else just not even taking me seriously about my reservations and going full steam ahead to wake me up to the joys. Of carpooling.

So, this morning, I got up when my alarm went off instead of lying in bed as usual. I didn't have to do as much to get ready. I got Twinkle up a little earlier than usual. We had a non-stressful, non-rushing around morning. And had 15 minutes to spare before Twinkle's ride arrived.

Tomorrow, it's our turn to drive. Hopefully things will be just as peaceful around here.

2 comments:

Girl con Queso said...

I agree. That is a lot of pressure. But here's to lots of easy breezy lemon squeezy mornings without rush or fuss.

Anonymous said...

You're braver than me - you know mine - there is someone five minutes from me & I've never called them -
A