Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Little Bit More "It's Not a HUGE Deal"

Just an update on Sparkle's echo.

Her doctor called on Friday afternoon and said that Sparkle has a Ventricular Septal Defect. You can read all kinds of information in that link. The condensed version is she has a hole in her heart between the left and right ventricles. They are usually found in infants and they usually close on their own.

Apparently this is the most common congenital heart defect found in infants. Somehow that doesn't make me feel better.

We will be going to the pediatric cardiologist who read the echo and put in her report to "follow up in two months". OK. So that tells me it isn't urgent. This cardiologist is also the one that Mr. Incredible recommends, so I have no worries about her knowledge and skill.

Outwardly, Sparkle shows none of the signs that are usually associated with this defect. She doesn't show signs of poor circulation. Heaven knows she doesn't tire easily. She doesn't normally have trouble breathing. I have wondered if our previous foray into the world of nebulizers was related to this instead of some asthma-ish problem.

Onward we go. I'm not constantly dwelling on it, but I do have some sore shoulders! I'll probably go ahead and schedule the appointment. Who knows? If I call now, it might be two months before we can get in anyway.

Thanks for your continued prayers and thoughts.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Well, I'm sorry you didn't hear "it's nothing" but I'm happy that it was at least not an urgent problem.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

We are just going to keep standing together and praying about this.