Monday, October 15, 2007

Creativity is Good, Right?

Friday when I went to pick Twinkle up from school I had the following conversation with her PE teacher.

Teacher: Twinkle told me that over the summer she was riding her bike on the hill in front of her house and had a wreck and had to have surgery on her face.

Me: Uh...

Teacher: I told her that she didn't look like she had any scars.

Me: (to myself - Obviously, this woman has my child confused with some other kid.) Aloud - uh, no. No surgery.

Teacher: Yeah, it didn't really seem right.

Me: Yeah, um, no, that didn't happen.

Fast forward --- Twinkle is securely buckled in and we're on our way home.

Me: Twinkle, your teacher told me that you told her you had a wreck on your bike and had to have surgery on your face this summer.

T: Oh! Yeah! (all excited)

Me: Why did you tell her that?

T: I was just telling her a story.

Me: Yeah, but you didn't tell her it was a story. You made it sound true.

T: Well, remember when I DID ride my bike down the street and I DID have an accident?

Me: Yes, but that was 2 years ago.

T: Well, yeah, but that part is true!

Me: OK, what about the face surgery?

T: Well, that part FEELS true, but it isn't.

Me: Right. OK. I'm really glad you're so creative and all, but it really isn't nice to tell people something as if it's true when it isn't really true. You need to make sure they know you're just telling them a story.

T: OK. It felt true, but it wasn't.

Me: Right.

6 comments:

Miss Smarty Pants said...

Ummmm.... Glad to hear she didn't really have face surgery!?!?

Heather said...

That is very creative...maybe a future actor?

Anonymous said...

hee hee - she is a drama girl after all - in the best way possible!!

SUEB0B said...

She has already grasped the concept that Steven Colbert calls "truthiness."

Mrs. Swizzle said...

Yes, Mr. Swizzle's instant comment on hearing this story was, "Truthiness!!!"

Duchess of Insanity said...

Wow. At least she was believeable? Does that help? :)
I can see Drama doing something like that. Wait maybe he already has and I don't know it....and he's told his teacher something about me and that's why she gives me that strange look...... Hmmmmm. Ok now I'm worried.