Monday, July 30, 2007

Still Recovering From Time in The Woods

All in all, the trip to my parents' house was....so so.

I usually love going there. It's so quiet and relaxing that most of the time I wish I could stay a little longer. This time was different. Ah, the difference a new child can make.

Apparently, Sparkle is allergic to nature. Well, at least pine trees. That's what most of the trees are in Granny's forest, as Twinkle calls it. We arrived there on a Thursday afternoon. Sparkle did not appreciate the lovely pack 'n play that I took especially for her to sleep in. Thursday night was not pretty. By mid day Friday, the allergies kicked in. She slept ok on Friday and Saturday nights. Then Sunday, I decided she needed decongestant, AKA baby cocaine. The girl could NOT sleep on Sunday night.

Sunday night is the night that I realized exhaustion and I do not mix well. Oi, is that an understatement. I'm mean. I'm sullen. I'm ugly as my mother used to call it when I wasn't nice. And I'm probably actually ugly to look at.

We returned on Wednesday. All three of us were happy to be home. Sparkle and Twinkle and I all slept like we haven't slept in a long time that night. There's just something about being in your own bed that does a body good.

Since we returned home, I've gone to bed before 10:00 every night. I think I'm on to something here.

The upside about the trip is that Twinkle got to play with 3 of her cousins for several days. She had a blast. Another upside is that I did actually get to eat a lotta peaches. And purple hull peas and corn bread.

As Sparkle gets older, I can give her some East Texas honey for a week or two before we go to The Woods. Maybe that will help. The whole time all I could think was that I wasn't really surprised by her allergy. That is the first time in her whole life she's ever been anywhere with plants like that.

She did love the purple hull peas. We'll make her a Texas girl yet.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Uh oh, sorry about that. Sounds like a drag. But the food sounds awesome...and the honey is a great idea.

Glad you are home!