Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Time To Remember

What's missing from this picture?

I took this picture last year from the Brooklyn Bridge. There's so much in this picture, yet all I can see when I look at it is a large hole.

I'll never forget this day 6 years ago. A Tuesday just like today. When I think of it, my eyes still fill with tears and my heart races.

So much has changed in the last 6 years. Twinkle was only 3 1/2 months old and not aware of much about the world around her except for those people she saw on a daily basis. Adopting from China wasn't so much as a spark of an idea. We lived in a different house. Mr. Swizzle had just started a job on September 1 after 5 1/2 months of no work. Dear friends now, were strangers then.

So much hasn't changed. The people who orchestrated this horrible thing are still out and about. I'm still disappointed in our President's response. I still can't comprehend this event.

The number of American soldiers who've died in Iraq has exceeded the number of people killed on this day 6 years ago. I still haven't figured out the link between Iraq and 9/11/01. Why are they there? When bin Laden and friends aren't? Does anyone remember that this date was used as a reason to go to Iraq?

It's a day full of answerless questions.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I see a hole too.

Mary Beth said...

Heck, I still can't figure it out. The emperor has no clothes...how long's it gonna take!?